Pueblo Country Club - 1903
The Pueblo Country Club was organized in April 1903 by O.G.Pope, Harlin J. Smith, and Richard O'Neil, a committee of three. It was their vision to provide the community with a place for friends and family to enjoy leisure time together. The Club was incorporated as a non-profit, private Club on February 20, 1904. The first members recruited friends, family, and neighbors to help clear the rugged course of cactus and sage brush. The first round of golf was played on June 1, 1903, making Pueblo Country Club the second oldest Club in Colorado. The old 9-Hole course was officially opened on May 31, 1926 with 2,897 yards of fine greens and fairways, making it a Par4. Later in 1964-1965, Henry Hughes improved the original design with an additional nine holes, laying the ground work for the amazing 18 hole championship golf course it is today.
The First Clubhouse was constructed in 1903, and remains today at the corner of 5th Avenue and 29th Street. Reminding us just how far we have come over the years. The Current Clubhouse was built in 1926 designed by Harvey Dakin, a local architect, with an Italian Renaissance style. Since then, Clubhouse has undergone several renovations to modernize the building and add square feet.The Olympic Sized swimming pool was constructed in 1964, and has undergone re-design through the years. The indoor tennis facility was constructed in 1983 with a total of three standard courts. There has since been the addition of two clay based courts since. It has now been 112 years of comrade and tradition at the Pueblo Country Club, and we are proud to be a part of concept that was created so long ago.